Friday, April 17, 2009

That was NOT a moth!!!

Last night around 9 or so, I decided to take Ryker for quick evening walk down the block. As I opened the door ---woooossshhh!

It buzzed my head! I screamed!

I thought it was the giant 5" moth I saw the night before.

It was not!

It was a bird!

ACK! There's a BIRD in our HOUSE! At NIGHT! What in the world!

So, of course, you don't just take these things amazingly calm when a bird is flitting all over your house. We left the door open and decided to let it try to find it's way and fly out.

I thought perhaps Ryker would find it (as we had lost it at this point), and start barking at it to frighten it away.

He did find it! He LIVES for this. He is a sight hound. He is a hunter.

The bird flew through the dining room, kitchen and then to the living room -- where it swooped and dove and clutched to the ceiling. All the while, Ryker is flipping out and rushing after it! Joe has a trash bag at this point, trying to catch the bird to release outside. I think, "this is a great moment for a picture."

Just as I grab ny camera, I see the bird swoop down. Joe begins to shout, "No, Ryker, No!!" The bird gives a few last horribly pathetic squeaks. And Ryker finishes the job we didn't quite know we gave him.

Something about it's head not being with it's body, made be quickly stow the camera and back way up as Joe did the corageous man thing and cleaned up the aftermath.

We felt horrible. We feel horrible! But Ryker was so stinkin' proud of himself...what were we to do. I told him good doggie, took him on his walk and Joe and I each said a little prayer for the bird and his family.

Ugh! Was not expecting that last night. Just goes to show life is NEVER as boring as it may seem. (complete with bird poop on my couch pillow!)

And beware of birds...and/or 5" moths!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Aw poor birdie.... Mittens was always killing things when he went outside. Ate a whole bird, killed lizards, but the worst was when he found a clutch of baby rabbits.... But you're right, Ryker's doing what he was born to do, so you can't really be mad at him...I bet he was so proud of himself!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness!!! What an experience. Reminds me of Emily's adventure with a roach many years ago when she was living in an apartment with a girlfriend. We entitled it "Perseverance At Midnight". I should copy and paste my story into my blog one of these days. Poor bird!