Thursday, April 19, 2007

My view

Everyday I go to work and look outside my window. We are on the twelfth floor and I have a view straight to downtown.

Here are some of the things I get to see.

1. Lots and lots of accidents. These occour at the stop light of Midway and Spring Valley or in front of the Geico building (also in my line of sight). All mostly minor.

I also see accidents RIGHT IN FRONT of our building. You have to turn across 4 lanes of traffic to enter our garage and some people can not JUST WAIT. So they venture across while some traffic is stopped and some is not and, inevitably, they get crunched. So we have frequent visits by tow trucks, policemen and oh-so-unhappy motorists.

2. Fire trucks. The fire station for Farmers Branch is three blocks down from us. So I see them quite frequently. The also frequent the Geico building A LOT! I don't know what they do there, but perhaps their blood pressure is as low/high as their rates??

3. Construction crews. They have been working on widening Midway for about 6 months now. I am not sure if they are widening for the sake of widening OR just angering the daily commutors. Either way, provides for entertainment. BUT they cut down so many nice trees! Made me so mad!!

4. School children. We are right in front of a private school, Green Hill. So I get to see lots of parents very nice SUVs, and kids playing lacrosse and soccer. Always fun!

5. A hawk. Yes, a red-tailed hawk. I think he lives on top of our building. Just about every day I get to see him swoop down and ride the air currents. Looks so wonderfully fun and peaceful. Maybe he's related to the holiday hawk?

6. The Weather. Everytime it rolls in, it's always fun. Rain, sleet, snow (my fave), I have a front row seat.

So that's a little bit of what I see at work everyday. Don't you all want to come and see too?

5 comments:

Lydia said...

The hawk is pretty exciting! A little spot of nature in all the buzz of the city.

The rest of your view sounds kind of scary! Remind me not to drive around there! I have full confidence in your city-driving skills, though. :)

Carolyn said...

Neat post, Leanna! I love cities; the parade never stops. I also like the hawk and Lydia's comment ... serenity in the midst of the bustle. Your view sounds nice.

Margie said...

Great post! I felt like I was sitting there with you and picturing it all as you described it. Too fun!

T said...

I am glad you have something good to look at and not just a blank wall! I always hate it when schools have classrooms without windows because it just feels so trapped, so the same goes for any building really. Across from my windows at work, there is a really old rusty school bell hanging on a wall. Some type of bird has built a nest in it. And there are bricks that stick out of the wall there so the little birds sit on the bricks as they go in and out of their nests. It is fun to watch.

Leanna said...

Yeah, when I was at A&M my office was white cinder blocks with overhead flouresent lighting and NO windows. It really made me just want to curl up under my desk some days. I would go by everyone's window or walk out in the warehouse to see something, anything!