Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Great Kitchen Makeover

Hallelujah! That's all I got to say about that!

Since we bought the house a little more than 3 years ago, we knew we had to do something to the kitchen. The floor had these rockin' porcelain tiles with green and pink roses, there was a drab dark wallpaper on the walls. But the counters, I thought were pretty cool, they were a green and white tile. I liked it. Then I lived here. And I didn't like them any more.
The wallpaper and tile floor were changed within weeks of purchasing the house. Woohoo. But counters, counters are a lot of money, and I thought I could live with it. However, when you scrub and scrub and still know they are not clean, it begins to eat away at your sanity (and who knows what else!).
So this Christmas season, Joe and I gifted each other with new counters and backsplash.

We went to Home Depot and purchased the counters knowing Joe and awesome helper-dad Jim would do the tear-out. When the girls left to go to a baby shower, we let the guys go at it, thinking it would be about finished on our return.

OF COURSE NOT!

Whatever dufus put up the stuff to begin with used all the wrong things. The only way to get it out, was to cut it out. So when we came home from the baby shower, things were down, but not quite in the way I was hoping. We then had to re-Sheetrock the giant holes in the wall (sorry, I don't have pics of this because I was crying on the inside). Sheetrock leads to dust everywhere...then countertop dust...ugh...everything was covered in dust.

Next time, if there is a next time, we're boxing stuff up.

So the counter install, they arrived and worked swiftly while Owen and I were just there. Joe came home a bit early from work to oversee things too. Thank goodness! The smell of the cut silestone was getting to me, along with whatever they were using to clean up. So, I took Owen and ran to his parents. Joe stayed and actually caught the counter was not level by almost 5/8ths of an inch! YIKES! The smell from the epoxy and cleaning chemicals was so strong we weren't able to go back home for 3 days/2 nights. WAAAHHH!

Then we started the backsplash and decided we'd go big and go with a glass tile background called Tea Leaf. After a lot of hard work by Joe and a lot of cleaning by all, we NOW have a beautiful kitchen.
Really.

I hope you enjoy and can't wait to show you in person!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Leanna, that's fantastic! Love all the cabinets. You're going to really enjoy cooking in your new space.

Kathy Mulkey

Lydia said...

And you didn't mention it, but the sink is lovely, too! I love the makeover. I'd forgotten about that tile and the wallpaper. You've done a great job with the whole re-do!

T said...

Looks great!!

Emily said...

I love it!!

Dreamer.Thinker.Player. said...

It really does look fabulous! I can't wait to come see it!