Monday, December 08, 2008

Just Say No to PreK

This is my new motto after the oh-so-interesting day of subbing I had this morning.

I accepted a special ed job for a half a day this morning, figuring what's the worst that could happen. (last time I was surprised with a class of autistic kids). Well, today I go to my school sign in and ask for the room number. They say, "Oh, she's not here in the morning she's at this Discovery place." Oh, ok, I guess this is an alternate learning campus....so they give me directions and I head on over.

Oh, what? It's a private day care!!! What??? Yes, this teacher splits her day between this day care and the school. So I walk in, looking for some place to sign in and someone to tell me what to do, because I do NOT do little kids...what am I even doing here????

This security guy at the front desk just says, "Ummm, she gets some kids off the bus, then you'll go to the fourth room down the hall." Um, Ok...do you want to know my name? Do you need me to sign in anywhere? No, great...glad those security measures are in place.

So, this CISD bus comes with 4 really cute quads, and they guy again just points. So I go down the hall...NO ONE IS THERE. I'm stuck with 4 short people and I have NO IDEA what to do. Other kids start coming, but no adults. WHAT!

FIFTEEN MINUTES later this other teacher shows up with about 10 more kids and the chaos begins. The morning is filled with glitter glue, tiny people getting angry at each other and screaming, potty breaks, potty accidents, changing of pull-ups (ick) and weird-colored boogers!

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Needless to say, I am NEVER doing this again, and I did not appreciate being blindsided by 16 short people with runny noses this morning. ugh.

2 comments:

T said...

Oh wow. Well now you know what you do NOT want to teach. :)

Lydia said...

Ugh!! What a horrible morning! And what a weird setup for the teacher to do (and not to tell you!!). 16 preschoolers...yikes!