Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Evacuees, Roadtrips and Woodworking

It's been an interesting past few weeks at the O'Brien house.

We had our first ever hurricane evacuees come and stay with us at our new house, and no it wasn't my parents! It was my good friend Dina and her troop of dogs...CieCie, Jango and Frenchie. We looked like a traveling circus when we took these kids out for a walk - a little rat terrier (all of 5 lbs.), a huge great Dane (all of 150 lbs), a lovely black lab AND a Ryker dog! We at the Casa de O'Brien do not descriminate on against race, size, age or gender! No sir-ree-bob!But, we had a great week besides the ever-lurking feeling of impending doom you have when your best friend's house may be destroyed and her husband is out driving around in it because he's a sherrif! But, God took care of our nerves and our families keeping mine safe in Kingwood and Dina's relatives safe in South East Texas.

Her parents really got into the spirit of evacuation and took their little selves to Hawaii. They claim it was for their 30th anniversary, but we'll just wait and see what Mr. Jack turns in to the IRS when it comes time for deductions! =)

We enjoyed catching up, crafting, shopping, FISHING and cooking. Dina, though the circumstances were a bit stressful, I'd love to do it again! Even with all the dogs!

In the midst of that, Dina and I took a rockin' roadtrip to the hoppin' town of Buffalo! Buffalo you may ask? Yes, I like to dub it our "Ugandan Missian Adventure." But actually, it wasn't. We had a rendesvue with my parents to deliver to them one mighty large generator, 3 5-gallon gas tanks, 2 power cords and a partridge in a pear tree. You see, my poor parents had been sitting in the dark since the night of Hurricane Ike, and my mom decided she wanted to see where she was going. It was an interesting journey as we got to see tons of cars also hauling generators and gas cans south, convoys of linemen and their work trucks and tons of cop!

Our initial meet-up was supposed to be in Centerville, home of the famous Woody's Truckstop, but my dad called and they were JAMMED full...cars lining ever side of the road east and west of the highway, so that's when we decided to stop and wait in Buffalo. We waited in a 4-car-deep line to fill up our car and our three gas cans, met some other very nice evacuees and waited for my parents. All in all, a successful trip and it was fun to hang out with the parents and hear their survival story over lunch!

That about concluded our excitment. Since then, we've been filling our time with things around the house. I finished up my many sewing projects for Baby Caleb to bring to his momma's shower on Saturday and Joe and I have been working hard on our entry table. It alreay looks awesome! I can't wait for the final product!!

Our next adventures?? Dog training and marriage building classes! I'll let you know which one I use the leash in most! ;)

No comments: