Tuesday, September 09, 2008

And we're back...

We had a great Labor Day get-away with the O'Brien family to Oklahoma last week. I think we're setting up for a tradition here, as last year we took a trek down to Florida too. I think I can handle that...a fun vacation each year...I'll try to survive.

We started with a slight detour to Arkansas...we hit three states in one day coming from Texas...that's saying something.
We had a nice cabin (aka - large home) in the woods.
We went on hikes (errr...death marches) up winding roads with speeding duely trucks passing us by.
We attempted to go canoeing, but were denied because it was...ahem...raining. Nice.
We went to Wal-Mart - as any good trek to podunkville should offer. Joe purchased a John Deere tractor poster that we all worked on and may soon be showcased in our very own garage!
We went fishing in the rain a lot. We did not catch anything.
We finally succeeded in renting a boat, and had quite a good time. We even caught fish this time! Most of the guys got a nibble, Jim finally brought one out, AND....I CAUGHT ONE TOO!!! My very own bass!

We made it back and relaxed...a bit...before Joe finished up the last little bits of a comic book table he'd been working on for a friend. This has been our big baby in the garage for quite some time. Joe had to come up with the design, we went to the hardwood store to get the goods (awesome by the way), started the cutting, the re-cutting, the gluing, the biscutting, the staining, the other million pieces of hardware and glass to buy and we finished it up on Sunday.
I had just put the final swipes of furniture polish on when our 'client' came to check it out. He liked it! Success! Just so you feel included, here's the finished product!Next up in the O'Brien workshop is an entryway table just for our little house! It will looks something like this Pottery Barn one, and I'm even going to try my hand at distress painting it. It involves a blowtorch! Anyone want to play with me??I think that's about it...finishing up some baby crafts for Mr. Caleb and his momma, starting back to subbing and doing whatever else! Most importantly, waiting in excited anticipation for Fall and my favorite Country Living issue, October!!!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Ooh, my favorite CL issue is November...but October is pretty great, too. I may have to borrow yours when you're done, now that I'm magazine-free!

The vacation sounds great, the comic book table is beautiful, and I can't wait to see how the entryway table goes! As for the blowtorch...I may pass, but I do have one if you need to borrow it! :)

LeahNicole said...

You guys are so handy! I'm jealous of your skills. Come to NY and fix my house!