Wednesday, April 02, 2008

So this is it?

"So this is it?" -- I have a feeling our new pupster has said this to himself off an on for the past week. I think he's unimpressed by us! =( How sad!

So everyone's seen the commercial with Echo the beautiful shelter dog that continually gets passed up...then...just recently, they've shown the follow-up. She's gotten a home! She's overjoyed! She's running, jumping, licking...

And here's how Ryker's commercial would go -- happy with his puppy friends at the shelter, running, walking frolicking. Then these nice people come and take him away from all his puppy friends. Sleeping, not playing fetch, whining, and looking at those people with those big puppy eyes as they make him get in his little kennel at night. Arf. =(

Well, it may not be that bad, but I just don't feel like Ryker is enjoying his life as much as I would hope he would. Now, I'm a new dog person, but I was expecting endless games of fetch, romping around in the backyard and that just hasn't happened. Maybe he's just not that dog. But I want him to be happy.

Any suggestions from you doggie veterans out there? Does your dog want to play with my dog? He's really good with other dogs! =)

6 comments:

Emily said...

i have no suggestions but i will say that is my kind of dog...i like them lazy!

Lydia said...

Sorry for the doggie woes! I'm sure he's happy. Getting playdates together with other dog owners isn't a bad idea, though! And maybe it's just his personality.

I think he's still adjusting and coming into his own as a dog. You guys are great parents, and will coax out the dog within soon enough. Keep it up!

LeahNicole said...

It will probably take some time for him to open up and be comfortable. Once he really bonds with y'all he wont miss other dogs. My dog is super lazy too though. She sleeps ALL the time and doesnt get up in the AM till we drag her out of bed. Then again she is spoiled and gets to sleep in bed with us.

Leanna said...

So, Joe told me today that the pupster was whining the whole time I was gone to go pick up our dinner tonight. As soon as Joe would stop petting him, he'd go over to the door and start to whimper. So...I guess he likes me a little! =)

MichelleAriana said...

He's a cutie for sure! Our pup was a lot like that. She actually was so shy and skiddish of people (and still much prefers her puppy pals) that we'd have to take her out of her crate and she was always glad to go back in. We've actually decided another dog is necessary for her (ack!), but I also recommend getting little ryker out to a dog park and just around as much as possible. It's important for dogs to be well socialized anyway. Congrats on the new edition!

-Michelle Pierce

MichelleAriana said...

Oh, and our pup is also a shepherd mix, and still doesn't fetch at nearly two years old. Let me know if Ryker ever catches on...