Monday, November 06, 2006

Phases of Life

After a little observation, I have broken down life into the most obvious categories I can think of. They go as follows: birthday parties, graduations, weddings, baby showers, birthday parties for YOUR kids and then funerals.

Currently, my friends and I are in the season of weddings. We have all triumphed over our school days with birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese or Mazzio's or the skating rink.

We have gone on to graduate from high school and college. So now, we must ALL logically get married. I have had 7 weddings in about a two month period. That's A LOT!

Next up, and one of my greatest fears is the dreaded baby shower. I have only gone to one of these so far in person. And let's face it, it's just weird. You are celebrating and lavishing gifts on a person that ISN'T even around! My friend Karen often talks about having a baby, and it's a little frightening. I think because it's almost too close to home. Because if she has one, then will my best friend Lydia decide her cute little kitty isn't enough? Then the pressure's on for ME! And I don't know if I can handle that. Please, I beg of you, give me more time.

Then life leads on to birthday parties for our children and all of their milestones, and finally our own funerals. Now it sounds a little morbid. It is sad when you are left without someone you care some much about. But I always try to think about all the wonderful things that they have accomplished in their time on earth. It's never, wow, he worked so many long hours or he drove that awesome car. It always seems to be...wow, he really loved me. Remember the time we went to the zoo? Remember how he would always give you a hug or a place to feel safe from the world. Now, those are accomplishments to strive for.

What will your life's legacy look like when you reach the end? What will you have left behind? What will God's words be to you? I'm hoping and praying for "Well done, my good and faithful servant." But I feel I have a long way to go... Here's to many happy life moments for everyone!

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Here are my categories: birthday parties, graduations, weddings, baby showers, birthday parties, grandkids, then funerals. :) I just say that because I know that my parents seem to be ready for that grandkids category. :)

I think I'm in the baby shower stage. Your wedding was the last, and the very next week was the first baby shower! And you shouldn't feel pressured from us! Not only are we not in baby mode, yet; even if we were, we're going on 4 years, and you need more time with just you and your hubby (and a little fuzzy kitty, sometime!).

I hope my life's legacy is worthwhile. I want to be the one whose home was always open and inviting, whose schedule was always flexible, and whose heart was always sensitive to God's moving. I'm certainly not there, yet! And I can't get there on my own power. I usually feel the exact opposite! But that's why God's grace is so great. :)

KarenD said...

You won't feel any pressure from me! You'll know when the time is right for you.

I get a lot of negative pressure on the baby thing... "you're too young," "what about going overseas?" "But John doesn't want one, does he?"

But of course, the grandmothers-to-be are all for it. So, there'll be pressure either way, it seems.

Just enjoy each stage of life as it comes, don't worry too much about the next stage, and take it in stride when it does come. :-)

Leanna said...

So says the wise old married women! =)

KarenD said...

OLD? Who you callin' old?

Tee hee.

KarenD said...

There should be a stage of life just for eating Ninfas with friends.

Well... not really, but I just wanted to make an appropriate comment to the post to say thank you for inviting us to dinner Saturday night!