Monday, November 13, 2006

College Day Blues

Well lately it has hit me. No not the rush of the holiday season or the low coming off the honeymoon high. Surprisingly, it’s been the College Day Blues. I would like to use this term or the CDBs to represent the feeling of loss of friends, freedom, and work-related stressors, commitments and frustrations.

I have recently become to really miss my friends. I miss not being able to walk across the street or call up a friend and meet them in 15 minutes or less. I miss not having 4-10 people around a dinner table at any given evening in the week. I miss walking to class and say hi to people as you pass, or stopping in the SUB to check your email and running into everyone you’ve ever said hi to.

I miss walking! A funny thing to say, but I miss walking to class and getting to go outside. To really experience the seasons. (the seasons being: hot, cold, kinda cold, monsoon and hot) I miss the benefits of walking 2+ miles each way. I miss the rush of running to class or bumming rides because you overslept.

I miss learning. Now I still learn, but I don’t get the same satisfaction from it. Now when I learn something, it always seems hurried and for someone else’s benefit besides my own. I miss the feeling of reading a book and having an “a-ha” moment, or the feeling of euphoria when you finally solve the math problem.

I know, what you are about to say…that we all had hard times in college, and it wasn’t all fun and games and friends. That life still has adventures out there and we can still have those feelings, but they’re just different now. I understand this I really do, but right now my heart isn’t. Maybe it’s the day-in/day-out work routine and all that goes with it, maybe it’s because our friends are flung to the far corners, maybe because I’m being a dork. But the CDBs are here.

Joe and I have promised each other that we’re going to go out more, we’re going to work out more, we’re going to read more, and we are. So, if you’re a friend…give us a call so we can add “we’re going to get together with friends more” to the top of the list! Help us cure the CDBs!

(For only $5.95, we at Leanna’s Little Spot can send you a green and gold CDB hope ribbon! Sic’em before they’re gone too!)

10 comments:

KarenD said...

Have you ever heard anyone say that college days are the best days of your life? That statement has always scared me... because it means that it's all downhill from here.

I have those moments, too, and it's hard because I still live near Baylor. Like we accidentally got in the Bear Bucks line at the movie theater the other night. Sigh. Gone are the days when I could spend my parents money on movies... heck, no more student discount, either!

Lydia said...

I know how you're feeling. Jon gets the CDBs more than I do, I think because I still talk to you all the time, and see Karen every week, and Jon doesn't get to see any of his college friends.

But the CDBs still come. College days were a lot more carefree than now. We had the freedom of adulthood without much of the responsibility, and that's why people remember those days as "the best days of our lives."

Then again, I see Jon staying up nights to work on papers and study for tests, and I'm really glad I'm not doing that any more.

Yet, somehow, despite that, college manages to leave us with good feelings and nastalgia. We forget the stress and the stupid group projects and the all-nighters.

I'm glad y'all are starting to do the good things we remembered. And we'll give y'all a call soon to go do something! If only we could find a fountain and some cafeteria trays.... Hm.... :)

Leanna said...

It worries me too. That's why I'm finding it hard to have the emotions. I am looking forward to getting involved with our church and meeting new friends. I am so thankful to be married to my sweetie.

But then those days creep along when I miss just swinging on my swing after class or walking to bowling with Karen or running to the store with Lyd. Sigh...

We'll figure it out right?

Anonymous said...

I love reading these posts. I felt the same way after we left college and were separated from the people we loved and had spent years of our life with.

We got together several times a year with each other until kids came along. Then the visits dwindled to once a year, then every few years.

Then the inevitable Christmas card list with their names on it. Now I only see my roomie once every few years and the other suite-mates not at all. too sad.

So, I remember those college days as "the best years of our lives" ... friends made, spouse discovered and wed, education accomplished, no responsibilities and lots of fun. Too bad the rest of our lives can't be like that. Why don't they tell you that when you're sitting in those lecture halls?C

T said...

We are close, we should get together and reminise from baylor days. :)

Leanna said...

Yea! Teresa! How is Dallas treating you? Let me know if y'all want to get coffee/dinner some time!

I am going to defy Carolyn's foreboding message and say, YES, we will see each other. No not every day. But I am so proud and so greatful for those friends I made. And as Lyd knows, I am a fierce friend.

So here's to many more Baylor and Roomie Reunions! Cheers!

Lydia said...

Haha! You are a fierce friend, which is good, because I lose contact with people all too easily!

And I think we're on the right track with things like Roomie Reunion. It's a good way to make time to see each other each year. And planning cruises years in advance keeps us in touch, too! :)

KarenD said...

Cruises? We're going on a cruise? Wait... am I invited?

T said...

Dallas is treating us pretty good. Thank goodness for Google maps or we would always be lost!

Lydia said...

Leanna and I have been planning a cruise for...how many years...? Since well before Jon and Joe were in the picture. But I'll guess they get to go, since they're kind of connected to us now. :) Still, we have a few more years to wait before that happens; we're going when we're 28!