Thursday, May 17, 2012

Is Your Computer a Tool?

Do you view your computer as a tool? Is it just something you use for fun?

I've been paying a lot more bills online lately. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Everyone always talks about the ease of online bill pay. On one hand, I totally get this. One click and your giant credit card is paid in full. On the other hand, ohhhhh the passwords. On the other foot, the dilemma of privacy and hijacked accounts.I have a system to keep all my passwords in check. This is a great help, except for when I forget to write them down, or I forget how to access my help, or I enter it in and the system locks me out. I have also FORGOTTEN to pay bills because I signed up for the 'environmentally friendly' no paper statements and I get one, it gets lost in my emails, I forget to pay, and then I get a late fee.

So, do you view your computer as a tool to help organize your financial matters, or just another THING that makes life complicated?

4 comments:

KarenD said...

We use a program called 1Password that manages all your passwords for you. It will even generate super complicated ones for you, but keeps them saved under one master password, so you only have to remember one. Works as a plug-in on your web browser.

I set up autopay for most of my bills, because I am forgetful, too!

Teresa said...

I do bill pay online. Some I have set as recurring payments in my bank and then I don't have to think about them. I also have a couple of recurring events on my google calendar that have an email alert, so that I remember to pay a couple of bills. My system has worked pretty well so far, and the only time I forgot to pay a bill was when I was out of time and accidentally deleted the reminder email before paying it. As you probably know, I am also a mvelopes fan when it comes to financial stuff.

Teresa said...

I do bill pay online. Some I have set as recurring payments in my bank and then I don't have to think about them. I also have a couple of recurring events on my google calendar that have an email alert, so that I remember to pay a couple of bills. My system has worked pretty well so far, and the only time I forgot to pay a bill was when I was out of time and accidentally deleted the reminder email before paying it. As you probably know, I am also a mvelopes fan when it comes to financial stuff.

Lydia said...

Yep, we've missed bills because we've gone paperless. Had to start getting the paper one again.

And there's been the occasional time that automatic payments are sent out before the paycheck is put in....whoops.

But, overall, we're fans of online bill pay and all that stuff. The computer is definitely a tool for us!