Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Revenge of the Wedding Vendors


Now we all know planning a wedding can be stressful, but not everyone knows why. Those of you that haven't had to plan or be involved in an affair of this kind for a while or for those of you who have no clue, let me open a window for you so that you may glimpse my most recent stressor.

Dun..dun...Duunnnnnn....

Yes, that's right, the wedding vendor.

We have been planning this wedding since about last December and were fortunate to line up a good list of vendors fairly quickly. We had met with all of them, and all seemed pleasant and well...until about a month before your wedding when they want their money for unperformed duties. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the business side of needing your money to complete a task.

Take today -- I was berated by the florist who ever so graciously met with us Sunday after trying to get a hold of her on three separate occasions. In a lovely voicemail, she ever so subtly accused me of withholding payment, trying to skimp her, being negligent and I'm sure something else.

So then when I called the florist shop to straighten it out, I was told they were all in a huff because they called yesterday and couldn't get a hold of anyone. I then explained to her that I work later than most and had a meeting and didn't have an opportunity to call until they were already closed. I then informed her that YES, we are still paying the remainder and paying in full and we would have everything decided Thursday, after meeting with the wedding coordinator from the church.

This still wasn't good enough. Because of terrorists, if we didn't get our order in pronto, and we are counting minutes here (she said), that bad things could happen.

So, my mother called and paid the remaining sum and here's hoping the terrorists will refrain from hijacking the plane with my wedding flowers. I mean really! If they like them that much, they can just stop by after the wedding and take some home. It's ok, really!....

Hope you enjoyed the view!

7 comments:

KarenD said...

Do you remember April Fools before my wedding when you tried to tell me the florist called and didn't have my flowers I wanted. (This was after Lyd told me the church had flooded.) If only your woes could be mere April Fools folly!

Lydia said...

Well, isn't that just a lovely story? :)

Remind me again what terrorism has to do with wedding flowers...?

Lydia said...

Did I tell you the church had flooded, Karen? That doesn't sound like something I would do!! :D

Lydia said...

"Revenge of the Wedding Vendors" sounds like a great B movie. Or a reality show! Haha!

Leanna said...

Haahaa! I totally forgot about that. I think that was the same day that I told Joe that Angela was in dire need of medical attention. And then we attacked him with water and he proceeded to pick me up and run with me over his sholder after angela down Bagby.

Good times! and yes, who knew there were so many flower terrorists!

Anonymous said...

Ha! great post!

Yes, wedding vendors do want their money up front which I found rather disconcerting. What happened to a down payment and then remainder after I saw the result (like with remodeling or car repairs)? I guess there've been too many times when vendors have gotten stiffed for supplies when the wedding was called off at the last minute or clients didn't pay the rest of the bill.

I like Lydia's B movie idea. A terrorist florist would be the main character who threatens to ruin the wedding by importing killer bees along with the flowers. The bees would fly out of the altar flowers just as the bride arrives to meet the groom. argh!

KarenD said...

And then the clones from Uvalde attack the wedding party. Mass chaos!