Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Dentist

Went to the dentist today and passed! It was great! I am so happy and relieved! But it got me to thinking, while I had four hands, a mirror, a deadly steel pick, a sucker and a water hose ALL IN MY MOUTH, how odd this dentist thing really is.

Now I am all for going to the dentist, but isn't it a little odd that go to someone's office we hardly, if at all know (in my case), and they just start doing weird things to us while we "ever so calmly" lay back in a plastic covered chair.

As a dentist, does one grow up dreaming about sticking strange metal devises in someone's mouth? Is this a healthy aspiration? -- besides from proper dental care, of course!

Thoughts, cares, concerns? Any other bizarre, yet widely accepted jobs out there?

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Have you ever had the cataract blow-a-puff-of-air-in-your-eye test at the eye doctor? Does that ever make you suspicious? I mean, they're looking for a reaction from you to the air, but what keeps THEM from blinking themselves? And there is no machine guaging your response to the air. It's simply the doctor's observation.

And speaking of eye doctors, it always freaks me out when they get REALLY close to my face with the bright light thing.

"Look to the right corner...

...now to the left...

...look past my shoulder..."

"I CAN'T! YOU'RE NOSE IS PRACTICALLY IN MY EYEBALL!!"

Anyway, eye doctors have the ability to go way beyond the comfort zone of personal space. Always creeps me out a little.